Neck Pain Treatment
Best Neck Pain Treatment in Chennai
Neck Pain Treatment in Chennai
Neck Pain – Cervical Pain
Also known as cervical pain, Pain felt in the neck. Can be in the neck bones, ligaments or muscles. Neck is made up of vertebrae that extend from the skull to the upper torso. Cervical discs absorb shock between the bones. The bones, ligaments, and muscles of your neck support your head and allow for motion. Any abnormalities, inflammation, or injury can cause neck pain or stiffness.
Many people experience neck pain or stiffness occasionally. In many cases, it’s due to poor posture or overuse whether it’s leaning over your computer or hunching over your workbench sleeping in an awkward position. Sometimes, neck pain is caused by injury from a fall, contact sports, or whiplash.
Neck pain is not always related to an underlying condition. It may be caused by:
- Bad sleeping posture
- Prolonged use of a desktop or laptop computer
- Injury or trauma around the neck
- Gritting your teeth
- Carrying heavy shoulder bags
- Wearing heavy necklaces
Sometimes neck pain may signify an underlying health condition. These conditions includes the following:
Osteoarthritis Of The Cervical Spine (Cervical spondylosis, Cervical Spondylarthritis) :
The degenerative changes are common in cervical spine. In the beginning intervertebral disc shows the primary degenerative changes and leads to pain and stiffness of the neck. Sometime the pain is referred to the upper extremity also.
In the later stage osteophytes commonly encroach upon the intervertebral foramina, reducing the space for transmission of the cervical nerves and leading to manifestations of nerve pressure, some time the spinal cord may suffer damage due to encroachment of osteophytes within the spinal canal.
The main symptoms are pain in the neck (in the trapezius area) and stiffness of the neck. There may referred pain of the dull nature of the shoulder joint and radiating pain on the upper extremity.
Most cases of cervical spondylosis are with no symptoms. In case the symptoms are noted, they range from mild to severe.
- Pain around the shoulder blade
- Increasing pain during standing, sitting, sneezing, coughing, or bending the neck backwards
- Pain along the arm and in the fingers
- Headaches, mostly in the back of the head
- Muscle weakness, making it difficult to lift the arm or grasp things
- Numbness or tingling sensation in the shoulder and arms
- Neck pain and stiffness
- Loss of balance and control over bladder and bowel movements
Wear and tear of the cartilage and bones in neck is the main cause for cervical spondylosis. This could be due to:
- Age – elderly persons are more prone to develop spondylosis
- Herniated discs
- Dehydrated or drying spinal discs, reducing the space between two neck bones
- Injury to the neck
- Overuse of spine
- Stiffer ligaments in the neck
- Repetitive stress such as holding the neck in an uncomfortable position for long durations
- Age – risk increases after 40 years of age
- The risk factors include:
- Lifting heavy weight
- Overweight and obesity
- Family history
- Compressed nerve roots
- Permanent damage to bones and cartilage
- Formation of bone spurs or bony projections along the edges of the bone
A neck injury caused by sudden back and forth movement of the neck. This causes neck pain and stiffness, shoulder pain and headache.
Symptoms may include:
- Neck pain
- Shoulder pain
- Visual problems
A condition causing asymmetrical head or neck position due to a problem in the neck muscles. It causes neck pain, headache, tilting of chin to one side, and inability to move head normally.
Symptoms may include:
- An inability to move your head normally
- Decreased neck movement
- Neck pain
Self-treatment for Neck Pain : Self- care steps that may be helpful in some less- serious cases:
- Hold a hot water bottle or heat pack around the neck
- Check your posture
- Use a low firm pillow at night instead of too many pillows
- Avoid driving or other activities that may force you to strain your neck
- Practice neck exercises
Acupuncture Treatment for Neck Pain / Cervical Pain / Cervical spondylosis
Cervical pain is one of the most common pains among world population. Approximately 1 million people currently suffer from chronic cervical pain. Acupuncture is one of the most widely used treatment options for chronic neck pain or acute neck pain, as it has a proven history of effectively treating this condition.
Chennai Jayanth Acupuncture Is Specialised in Treating Neck Pain / Cervical Pain / Cervical spondylosis. Contact us for your soonest recovery.