Acupuncture treatment for Ankylosing Spondylitis Chennai
Ankylosing Spondylitis Treatment in Chennai
A type of arthritis in the spine, causing inflammation and gradual fusing of the vertebrae. Early signs and symptoms include pain and stiffness in the lower back and hips.
The symptoms are more evident in the morning or following long duration of inactivity
Other symptoms noted include:
- Neck pain
- Back pain
- Loss of appetite
This is an inflammatory arthropathy, primarily involving the sacroiliac joints and the spine with a marked tendency to ankylosing (fusion). The precise aetiology is not known. A large number of patients show the presence of HLA-B27 antigen. Patients are commonly young men in the third decade. The initial symptom is a low backache with morning stiffness due to involvement of sacroiliac joint. Later on, the spine in involved from below upwards (sparing the cervical spine). At a still later stage the proximal joints of the limbs, particularly the hip joints are affected. The disease is progressive and leads to crippling deformities. Iritis and prostatourethritis are commonly associated. The diagnosis can be confirmed by radiography which shows obliteration of the sacroiliac joints in the early stage and the characteristic bamboo spine at a later stage.
- Men are at increased risk than women
- Family history may increase likelihood
- This tends to develop during late adolescence or early adulthood
The exact cause for ankylosing spondylitis is not known. Gene mutation could be factor.
Other factors that could contribute to ankylosing spondylitis include:
- Gender: Men are at increased risk than women
- Age: The disease tends to develop during late adolescence or early adulthood
- Family history
Fusion of the vertebrae in the affected part is one of the main complications. This leads to:
- Stiffness and inflexibility in the affected part – hip joints especially may require hip replacement
- Hunched forward posture
- Difficulty in breathing, when ribs are affected
Other complications noted include:
- Uveitis or eye inflammation
- Compression of the spinal cord in case of fractures in the vertebrae
- Problems in aorta and heart
- Regular exercise to ease pain and stiffness
- Apply heat or cold packs to manage pain and stiffness in joints.
- Practice good posture.
- Quit alcohol and smoking
Acupuncture Treatment for Ankylosing Spondylitis
New research finds that, acupuncture is effective for the treatment of a type of chronic inflammatory arthritis known as ankylosing spondylitis (AS). significantly acupuncture reduces the pain levels in ankylosing spondylitis patients, however, the combination of acupuncture with moxibustion is more effective treatment for AS.